Glory and Honor and Peace to Every Man that Lives For Eternity
Rom 2:6 Who will render to every man according to his deeds:
Rom 2:7 To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life:
Rom 2:8 But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath,
Rom 2:9 Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile;
Rom But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile:
Rom For there is no respect of persons with God.
- A Man’s Good Deeds Do Matter. – vs. 6*
- After Paul scathing rebuke of the self-righteous the natural response would be, does a man’s actions matter? Paul can hear the self-righteous coming back with the argument that Paul is teaching that God completely overlooks the actions of man and therefore condones evil. This is not true, while it may seem that Paul is contradicting himself, the truth is the Gospel changes lives. In fact, it changes lives more fundamentally than outward conformity, which is the real problem with the self-righteous.
i. God does bless those that live a life of self sacrifice and self denial. This truth can be observed in all the various cultures and religions around the world. It truly is better to give than to receive. God’s moral law is universal and anyone that follows it will be rewarded.
1. Psalm 119:1-4
ii. While a non-believer maybe blessed for outwardly following God’s law; a true believer will be change inwardly as well as outwardly. Otherwise we must be force to wonder if that person is truly saved.
1. Romans 6:1-7
- There is a Blessing to Those that Live for Eternity. – vs. 7*
- It is impossible to affect lasting change for good in this life if we are only living for the moment. All the great men and women of history lived for eternity whether they were Christian or not. God loves a noble heart. Those who do not believe in Christ will not be saved for eternity, but they will win glory and honor in this life.
i. Jesus is truly the only way to be saved
1. John 14:6
ii. There are many that may not know Christ perfectly, but who are aware of their need of a Redeemer. Job would be one of those people.
1. Job 19:25-26
- There is A Curse for Those that Reject God’s Moral Law. – vs. 8*
- Those that angrily reject the mercy of God will harden their hearts to love and grace and will fill their lives with wrath.
i. Proverbs 1:28-33
- God Judges Every Soul that Does Evil; the Jew First and then the Gentile. – vs. 9*
- This verse may seem odd at first, but in actuality it is very profound. God chastens His beloved, because He does not want to see them walk the path of darkness outline in chapter 1 of Romans. His judgment is a sign of His mercy. The self-righteous had misunderstood this principle and had therefore learned to hate God.
i. Hebrews 12:5-7
- God Blesses Those that Obey Him with Glory, Honor and Peace; the Jew First and Then the Gentile. – vs. 10*
- Romans 1:16
- All Men Stand Equal Before a Judge that can See Into Their Hearts. – vs. 11*
- 1 Peter 1:17-19