1 John 2:7-11
The New Commandment of Love is Light
1Jn 2:7 Brethren, I write no new commandment unto you, but an old commandment which ye had from the beginning. The old commandment is the word which ye have heard from the beginning.
1Jn 2:8 Again, a new commandment I write unto you, which thing is true in him and in you: because the darkness is past, and the true light now shineth.
1Jn 2:9 He that saith he is in the light, and hateth his brother, is in darkness even until now.
1Jn 2:10 He that loveth his brother abideth in the light, and there is none occasion of stumbling in him.
1Jn 2:11 But he that hateth his brother is in darkness, and walketh in darkness, and knoweth not whither he goeth, because that darkness hath blinded his eyes.
- The New Commandment of Love is Nothing New but Came into the World with the First Commandment that God Gave at the Beginning of Time: “Let There Be Light.” – vs. 7
- The commandment of God to give light in the darkness is an expression of His love. Darkness is symbolic of chaos and hate and light is symbolic of order and love. Just like God of His own divine will sent light into the world, He also gave light to our world personal world of chaos.
i. Genesis 1:1-3
b. The Commandment that John is giving us can be traced all throughout the whole Bible. From the Mosaic Law to the Law of Christ.
i. Leviticus 19:18
ii. Leviticus 19:34
iii. Matthew 5:43-44
iv. Matthew 22:35-40
v. Galatians 5:13-14
- Only in Christ Can We Find The Hope to Live the New Commandment. – vs. 8
- Ephesians 2:1-5
- It is Impossible to Hate Your Brother in Christ and Love the Christ Who Saved Him. – vs. 9
- 1 Corinthians 13:1
- If You are Secure in Christ Like it Says in Verse 8 Then You Will be Compelled to Love your Brother and Will be Eternally Secure in Jesus. – vs. 10
- The truth is simple; those that love Christ will love His people (the Church). The greatest evidence of saving faith is a desire to worship with God’s people.
i. 1 John 3:14-19
- Someone that Claims to Be of God, Yet Justifies the Evil of Hating His Brother in Christ is not of the Light but is Blinded to Truth by the Darkness in His Heart. – vs. 11
- 2 Timothy 3:1-9