1 John 4:5-6
We Are of God!
1Jn 4:5 They are of the world: therefore speak they of the world, and the world heareth them.
1Jn 4:6 We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.
- False Teachers are Consumed with Building Earthly Power and Influence. – vs. 5a
- Jude 1:16-23
- The World and False Believers Listen to False Teachers Because They Love the World and Temporal Power. – vs. 5b
- 2 Peter 2:10-14
- We are of God: - vs. 6a
- When we walk in the light - 1 John 1:7
- When we admit our sin - 1 John 1:8-10
- When we believe that we have an advocate with the Father. - 1 John 2:1-2
- When we keep His word. - 1 John 2:5
- When we love not the world. - 1 John 2:15-17
- When we are indwelled by the Holy Spirit - 1 John 2:20
- When God bestows His love on us. - 1 John 3:1
- When we begin to fathom the vast love of God. - 1 John 3:16
- A Simple Test To Discern a False Teacher From a True One is: Will They Hear the Truth of God’s Word or is Their Word to be Taken Above the Scriptures. – vs. 6b
- A False teacher wants for Himself what belongs only to Christ
i. Sola Fide, by faith alone. – a false teacher requires you to put your absolute trust in him
ii. Sola Scriptura, by Scripture alone. – a false teacher places their word equal to or above the authority of scripture
iii. Solus Christus, through Christ alone. – a false teacher wants to be the true Messiah and Christ like figure in your life.
iv. Sola Gratia, by grace alone. – a false teacher wants to be the sol arbiter of grace and control who receives forgiveness for sin and who does not.
v. Soli Deo Gloria, glory to God alone. – a false teacher longs for the glory that should be given to Christ alone.
- Those who do not worship Christ will be forced to worship a tyrant.
i. Jude 1:24-25