Saturday, January 11, 2020

Romans 7:14-20


Romans 7:14-20
The Law Reveals that ‘I’ am the Problem

Rom 7:14  For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.
Rom 7:15  For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.
Rom 7:16  If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.
Rom 7:17  Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
Rom 7:18  For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.
Rom 7:19  For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.
Rom 7:20  Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

  1. God’s Law is Spiritual, and I am Carnal and a Slave to Sin. – vs. 14*
    1. The law is not the problem in fact it is good, spiritual and holy
                                                              i.      Psalm 1:2 
                                                            ii.      Psalm 40:8 
                                                          iii.      Psalm 112:1 
                                                          iv.      Psalm 119:72 
                                                            v.      Romans 7:22 
                                                          vi.      1 John 5:3 
    1. The problem is ‘I’ myself; who is imbodied in a fleshly nature.
                                                              i.      Romans 3:10-12 
    1. The body in which I now reside is corrupted by sin and still longs to serve its old master.
                                                              i.      Romans 6:12-13 
  1. I Cannot Understand Why the Sin That I Hate is Often What I Do – vs. 15*
    1. In verse 15-20 Paul uses a form of argument, popular in his day, called Modus Ponens which vividly shows our desperate plight without Christ.
                                                              i.      Verse 15 demonstrates that Paul is describing his own personal struggle with sin as a believer, because we know that an unbeliever does not long to be holy.
1.      The law reveals our inadequacy
a.       Matthew 5:3 
b.      1 John 3:4 
  1. When I Do that Which I know is Wrong, it Demonstrates to Me the Justice of God’s Law. – vs. 16*
    1. The law reveals our brokenness
                                                              i.      Matthew 5:4 
                                                            ii.      Romans 3:19 
  1. When I Fail it Shows Me that the Sin I Hate is Not Me, But the Sin That Lives in Me. – vs. 17*
    1. The law reveals our need to yield our sin nature (body) to Christ
                                                              i.      Matthew 5:5 
                                                            ii.      Ephesians 4:22-24 
  1. I Cannot Do What is Good Because My Will Is Ruled by My Sin Which is Evil. – vs. 18*
    1. The law reveals my need of a righteousness I do not possess
                                                              i.      Matthew 5:6 
                                                            ii.      Romans 3:23-24 
  1. So, I am Forced to Do What is Wrong Even Though I Know What is Right. – vs. 19*
    1. The law reveals to me a mercy I do not deserve
                                                              i.      Matthew 5:7 
                                                            ii.      1 John 4:10 
  1. Therefore, if I Sin it is Not Me that Does it but the Sin that Lives in Me. – vs. 20*
    1. The law reveals my need of a purification that I cannot accomplish
                                                              i.      Matthew 5:8 
                                                            ii.      Luke 9:23 
  1. The Only Hope for a Believer Who Struggles with Sin is to Yield to the Work of the Holy Spirit Who Longs to Take Over Our Lives.
    1. Paul uses an argument of silence to emphasize a point. It is all too often that a believer thinks they are alone in the struggle with sin and are overwhelmed by its power. The reality is, we have a helper or comforter who is easily able to overcome the most powerful of sins.
                                                              i.      Galatians 2:20-21 
                                                            ii.      Romans 8:1-4

No comments: