Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Psalm 18:20-24

Psalm 18:20-24
The Reward of the Righteous

Psa 18:20  The LORD rewarded me according to my righteousness; according to the cleanness of my hands hath he recompensed me. 
Psa 18:21  For I have kept the ways of the LORD, and have not wickedly departed from my God. 
Psa 18:22  For all his judgments were before me, and I did not put away his statutes from me. 
Psa 18:23  I was also upright before him, and I kept myself from mine iniquity. 
Psa 18:24  Therefore hath the LORD recompensed me according to my righteousness, according to the cleanness of my hands in his eyesight. 

  1. What is passage is not – David is not describing an eternal reward. He has been very clear up to this point that his salvation from hell does not come from any of his own merit.
    1. Romans 3:10-12 
  2. What God has Done for David.
    1. What David is describing is the fact that when one chooses to serve the Lord, God is faithful to reward that person in this life. – vs. 20*
                                                               i.      God rewards David for his righteousness.
1.      Proverbs 11:18-19 
2.      Psalm 62:12 
                                                             ii.      God rewards David for restrain from evil.
  1. David’s Success – vs. 21*
    1. David kept the ways of the Lord.
                                                               i.      Psalm 26:1 
    1. David did not wickedly depart from the Lord.
  1. The Reason for David’s Success – vs. 22*
    1. David meditated on the punishment for sin.
                                                               i.      Psalm 119:9-11
                                                             ii.      Psalm 119:127-128 
    1. David meditated on the Law of God.
                                                               i.      Psalm 1:2-3 
  1. The Motivation for David’s Success. – vs. 23-24*
    1. David had seen the benefits of continuing, by God’s strength, to follow God’s Law. – vs. 23*
    2. This verse is a repetition of verse 20. This is to emphasize the point that God is faithful to reward those that choose to serve him by following His Commandments. – vs. 24*

                                                               i.      John 15:1-10  

No comments: