Friday, August 30, 2019

Getting Excited About Melchizedek (TGC 2011) by D.A. Carson

While I do not agree with Dr. Carson's conclusions about Melchizedek this is a great message. I do find it funny that to come to the conclusions that he has about M he steps over what is plain in the text of Hebrews 7 to go to pure conjecture. To me what the whole debate hinges on is the question how long was M living in Salem. The answer is we have no idea. What we do know is that he appears out of no where, only to return to obscurity. I think it is more plausible to think that Salem is not a location but a title. This to me suggests that he is a pre-incarnate Christ. I could be wrong about that conclusion, but it greatly simplifies any explanation of the meaning of Hebrews 7. Also it is more consistent with the overall point of Hebrews which is the preeminence of Christ. All that being said Dr. Carson is a blessing.



No comments: